Graphic tees are all the rage. They’re trendy, stylish, and comfortable. Plus, graphic tees are an opportunity to express yourself! While you’re probably pretty confident rocking an oversized graphic t-shirt for the everyday casual fit, have you ever thought about how to dress up a graphic t-shirt for work?
While business casual and graphic t-shirts historically had a bit of a strained relationship, they’ve worked it out and get along quite nicely now. This is exciting news because it completely opens up your professional wardrobe possibilities! Here are a few do’s and don’ts when it comes to how to dress up a graphic t-shirt for work.
Keep it Profesh
Graphic t-shirts are absolutely work wearable, but you’ll need to keep them professional. Here are a few tips:
- Try to save jeans for casual Fridays and pair your graphic tee with work wear like a pencil skirt or slacks.
- Make sure it fits well! While we love an intentionally oversized graphic t-shirt, this probably isn’t the time for it.
- Don’t overdo it! Sprinkle in a graphic tee every once in a while for a fun flair to your existing wardrobe.
- Read the room. Got a very important client-facing meeting on Monday? Maybe wait until Tuesday to show off the new graphic t-shirt! While graphic t-shirts are work approved, there are still optimal times to wear them.
How to Dress Up a Graphic T-Shirt for Work
Alright, so we’ve talked about what NOT to do (we got your back, sis). Now, let’s chat about how to optimize that graphic tee, so it’s work-friendly and office-approved.
Pair it with a Skirt to Dress it Up
When you wear a skirt with your graphic tee, it’s an automatic glow-up. Consider tucking in your graphic tee to your favorite pencil skirt for a clean look! Depending on the graphic tee, you could also wear it with a leather skirt or a longer pleated skirt. It’s all about the look you’re going for! But the rule is, a skirt makes it dressy — and keeps it sassy.
Stay Classy in Layers
The thing about graphic tees as professional wear is that they shouldn’t be the main attraction. You don’t want to draw too much attention to them. They’re just adding a subtle splash of color, pattern, and self-expression. This is why we love layers. When you wear a blazer, bomber, or another jacket over your graphic t-shirt, it elevates the look while downplaying the graphic tee. The same goes for a cardigan or sweater.
Accessorizing is Key
You’ve got the basics in check, so now it’s time to make the magic happen with accessories. While sneakers give your fit an overall casual tone, stilettos and statement earrings will dress it up! When you’re considering accessories for your graphic t-shirt, choose jewelry such as hoops, long necklaces, dangle earrings, or layered bracelets. If you’re not a fan of heels, snag a pair of animal print flats or stylish boots to complete your look! Consider a pop of color with a bold lip or funky belt to tie it all together. You’ve got this!
Putting it all Together
Rest assured, graphic t-shirts can absolutely fit in with your polished professional wardrobe! It’s all about how you wear it. Here are a few reminders:
- Your graphic t-shirt might want to be the center of attention, but that’s not the goal here. Layer it with a sweater or jacket for a fashionable and work-approved look you’ll love.
- Pair your graphic tee with slacks, a skirt, or a dress to elevate your outfit!
- Intentionally accessorize your outfit to seal the deal! Go for jewelry and shoes that will dress up your look.